Tutorial: Elastic-R, a google docs-like portal for data analysis in the cloud
Karim Chine, Cloud Era Ltd, Cambridge, United Kingdom
is a new portal built using the Biocep-R
platform. It enables statisticians, computational scientists, financial
analysts, educators and students to use cloud resources seamlessly; to
work with R engines and use their full capabilities from within
simple browsers; to collaborate, share and reuse functions, algorithms,
user interfaces, R sessions, servers; and to perform elastic distributed
computing with any number of virtual machines to solve computationally
The attendees will learn how to:
- run Elastic-R Amazon Machine Images (AMIs), and access
them through the portal.
- work with virtual R sessions within the browser; use the
Browser-R-Bench's views and the Elastic-R Plugins Toolset.
- upload/download files to/from an Elastic-R AMI; work with
R-Spreadsheets from within the browser.
- share an Elastic-R AMI with other portal users; use the
different collaboration capabilities (broadcasted consoles/graphics,
interactive graphics annotators, slide viewer, files sharing, etc).
- use Scilab, Sage, Root and OpenOffice in conjunction with R.
- mirror R-Spreadsheets to Excel spreadsheets; use them
- create User Interfaces for R functions using either the Netbeans
GUI Builder or the Elastic-R code-free GUI Designer; make the
created GUIs available with simple URLs.
- expose the Elastic-R session as a web service; use the
- perform parallel computing in R using multiple Elastic-R AMIs.
Any R user. The tutorial of
Zolot in the morning may be useful background
for users unfamiliar with cloud computing.